There are probably very few of us that do not have any anxiety, phobias or fears , even if it’s as simple as being a little fearful of spiders, or perhaps liking to sleep with a little light shining nearby as the dark is not comfortable.
Many such anxieties are manageable and the majority of us experience them at some point in our lives with little impact.
However, some people have anxieties, phobias and fears that limit their opportunities in life: the person with a fear of flying may find being in a plane uncomfortable, however someone with a more serious anxiety of flying may completely avoid boarding, or perhaps even seeing, an aeroplane; equally, someone with a fear of open spaces may avoid large parks, fields and sports grounds, however someone with a more serious fear, or perhaps agoraphobia, may never leave their house.
Below is a list of the more common anxieties, fears and phobias that we can help with:
- Spiders – Arachnophobia
- Flying – aviatopophobia
- Water – Hydrophobia
- Heights – Acrophobia
- Enclosed spaces – Claustrophobia
- Open spaces – Agorophobia
- Crowds – Demophobia
- Darkness – Nyctophobia
- Dentists – Odontophobia
- Speaking in public – Glossophobia
- Needles – AichmophobiaDeath or dying – Thanatophobia
- Being sick – Emetophobia or Emetephobia (may also be known as phagophobia, vomitophobia, vomit phobia, sickness phobia) For more info on fear of being sick, click here.
- Being judged or put on the spot – Social Phobia, or Scopophobia. For more info on social phobia, click here.
- Urinating in front of others, shy bladder, paruresis, toilet anxiety or toilet phobia
- Defecating (either alone, or in earshot of others), stools and losing bowel control – Coprophobia, or Corporophobia
The list of phobias and fears is endless as people really can be fearful of anything in their thoughts and lives so please don’t think that we can’t help you if your fear or phobia is not listed above. It is important to note that all anxieties, phobias and fears are driven by an inner anxiety and although it won’t seem like it has very little to do with the actual ‘feared thing’
What is important is that, if your phobias and fears is having a negative impact upon you, or if it is limiting your full participation in life, or if your fear or phobia is becoming more severe and is beginning to dominate your life then it is probably time to do something about it and take steps to rid yourself of your fear or phobia.